First, a history lesson.
18 years ago, podcasting became a thing. Adam Curry, former MTV VJ, along with software developer Dave Wine, coded a program which enabled them to download internet radio broadcasts to their iPods so they could listen to content “on demand.” A then novel concept.
It took about a year for enterprise companies to recognize the opportunity this new form of communication presented. Fast forward to today, and over 25% of the US population are weekly podcast listeners (More Americans listen to podcasts than have Netflix accounts).
Given this massive reach, and the often-streamlined barrier to entry for a solid podcast, here are five podcast trends to look out for as you evolve your content sharing strategies:
1. The audience profile has shifted. They skew younger, they’re more diverse, and are more likely to listen to escape reality.
OG Listener (6+ years listening)
- 63% are 34-54 years old
- 71% male, 29% female
- Top genres: Comedy, Sports, News and Politics, Science and Technology
New Listener (<1 year listening)
- 66% are 18-34 years old
- 50% male, 50% female
- 35% more likely to be Black, 20% more likely to be Hispanic
- Top genres: Comedy, True Crime, Celebrity Conversation, Sports
- Advertisers across the spectrum are in it to win it. Advertisers understand the value this market has to offer and are actively working to ensure they have a steady, dedicated spend as part of their overall marketing mix. Biggest spenders last year:
- Retail Direct to Consumer
- Arts/Entertainment and Media
- Financial Services
- Consumer Packaged Goods
- Audience targeting is sharper. And smarter. Contextual alignment is one of the most popular forms of targeting – and this channel allows for optimal use of it to reach the right people. Most targeted contextual audiences:
- Doctors & Research
- Businesses (of all sizes)
- New Parents
- Interested in Education
- IT Decision Makers
- Podcasts are a creative ROI opportunity. Creativity provokes interest, engagement, and recall. All of this can lead to revenue.
- Ad revenue from podcasting is expected to double to $2 billion this year.
- 16% of podcast advertisers saw an increase in revenue from brand awareness campaigns YoY.
- 86% saw an increase in revenue from announcer-read ads YoY.
- There is still a vast market of untapped listeners. If you think your niche audience doesn’t listen to podcasts, think again. Biggest audience opportunities:
- Graphic Designers
- Interested in Music, Live Events and Movies
- Engaged Couples
- In-Market for Insurance
- Education, College Grad
- Interested in Politics
- Small Business Owners
It’s taken 18 years for podcasts to get the recognition they so deserve. From stand-up comedy to real estate investing, from true crime to foreign policy, there’s a podcast for every listener and a podcast for every marketer.
- SXM Media 2022 Podcast Trends Report